Development and Land Agency
Advice provided on potential development land, with experience of negotiating option, promotion and hybrid agreements for residential & commercial development and contractual land development transactions. Skilled in marketing sites with potential or planning consent to obtain best value. This extends to representing those approached by renewable energy operators including solar farms and battery storage.
Sales and Acquisitions
Experience and ability to handle a rural sale of any size, from single fields to large farms and blocks of land, backed up with the local knowledge and awareness to fully market property attracting the maximum coverage. Advice on purchasing property, providing assistance throughout the whole process.
Landlord, Tenant and Asset Management
Professional advice and assistance on tenancies under the Agricultural Holdings Act 1986 and Farm Business Tenancies. Succession advice under the AHA 1986. Grazing/cropping licences and residential tenancies. Experienced in managing complex rural estates with a wide range of issues and opportunities.
Works to resolve problems, not perpetuate them. Acting quickly to ensure interests are protected using the most cost-effective and efficient means of negotiation and advocacy in relation to boundary disputes, rights of way, tenancy disputes, restrictive covenants and other contentious matters.
Agribusiness and Rural Support Schemes
Management and advice relating to Contract Farming Agreements. Tenders for Farm Business Tenancies and Contract Farming. DEFRA Basic Payment Scheme advice and applications. Environmental land management assistance relating to HLS / ELS and Countryside Stewardship Schemes. An enviable reputation for sourcing and completing successful capital grant applications for rural business.
Education & Qualifications
- Member of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS).
- Fellow of the Central Association of Agricultural Valuers (CAAV).
- Degree in Business Management and Marketing, Harper Adams University College 2011.
- Post Graduate Diploma in Rural Estate & Land Management, Harper Adams University 2014.
- CAAV Examinations. National, northern group and local branch award winner in 2017. Alistair Turnbull Prize, N B Stephenson Memorial Prize and Talbot Ponsonby award.
Hobbies & Interests
Quality time with friends and family, son Harry | Farming industry and rural issues | Football and rugby | Newcastle United season ticket holder!
- Hails from farming family in South Durham of which he is a partner in the business.
- CAAV Northumbria and Cumbria Branch Vice Chairman.
- Royal Agricultural Benevolent Institution (R.A.B.I.) County Durham Committee
- Old Barnardian (Barnard Castle School)
My Happy Place
Watching Newcastle United at St James’ Park.